"I am incredibly happy with the school - it has a great family feel and my son loves it there. I feel they will care for my son not just educationally but as a whole." Parent of Year 7 child
"I thought it would be a good school but it’s even better than I expected..." Year 7 pupil
Click here for more testimonials
The Durham Free School is a new 11-18 state secondary school which opened its doors to Year 7 students in September 2013. It provides an exciting new educational opportunity for our children and our communities. Led by Peter Cantley, The Durham Free School's first Headteacher, it offers a distinctive and inclusive education, shaped by traditional Christian values and welcoming to all.
The School offers a high quality education in a caring, Christian environment in which each student is known, valued and encouraged to achieve his or her individual potential. We are committed to outstanding academic performance and to fostering a love of learning in our students.
Our students will
- act responsibly and respectfully
- aim high in life and learning
- engage with and contribute to the local community
Our staff will
- support all students to achieve their greatest academic potential
- provide a nurturing environment where students and their individual learning needs are known by all
- encourage parental engagement
We place great emphasis on all members of our community co-operating with others considerately and honestly, promoting the understanding that with rights come responsibilities.
We are committed to:
- providing the very best education within a calm, ordered and safe environment
- ensuring every individual is valued for who they are, not for what they can do
- providing opportunities, excellent role models, clear boundaries and high expectations
- enable pupils to develop into a good citizens and positively contribute to society
- excellent outcomes for all pupils.