Welcome The Durham Free School is a new 11-18 secondary school which will open its doors to Year 7 students in September 2013. It will provide an exciting new educational opportunity for our children and our communities. Led by Peter Cantley, The Durham Free School’s newly appointed Headteacher, it will offer a distinctive and inclusive education, shaped by traditional Christian values and welcoming to all. The School will offer a high quality education in a caring, Christian environment in which each student is known, valued and encouraged to achieve his or her individual potential. We are committed to outstanding academic performance and to fostering a love of learning in our students.
We work hard to prepare our pupils not just for going to University, but for entering the competitive modern jobs market. We have links with training providers in a number of different industries, organizations who provide discounted courses, scholarships and apprenticeships to our school-leavers. Most recently we secured an agreement with Discovery UK for discount personal trainer courses for students with an aptitude in sports or physical education who want to pursue a career in the fitness and leisure industry.
Our students will:
- act responsibly and respectfully
- aim high in life and learning
- engage with and contribute to the local community
Our staff will:
- support all students to achieve their greatest academic potential
- provide a nurturing environment where students and their individual learning needs are known by all
- encourage parental engagement
We will place emphasis on all members of our community co-operating with others considerately and honestly, promoting the understanding that with rights come responsibilities.
We are committed to:
- providing the very best education within a calm, ordered and safe environment
- ensuring every individual is valued for who they are, not for what they can do
- providing opportunities, excellent role models, clear boundaries and high expectations
- enable pupils to develop into a good citizens and positively contribute to society
- excellent outcomes for all pupils.